Sunday, July 20, 2008

Sign Language en Español???!!!

Does anybody have any idea at all whether or not ASL (American Sign Language) is also used in Mexico? From what I can find it is called "Lengua de Signos" in Spanish, but Hector doesn't seem to know anything about it! He didn't even know how to say it...I guess that's part of him being in America for more than half his life!!

If there is a difference, I really wanted to try to find a book on it in Spanish to take with us to Mexico, since right now that is the only way my son knows how to communicate, I think his Abuelitas would be more than happy to have it!

If ANYBODY can help me out...PLEASE by all means do! I would really appreciate it, and I know that some of these other womans husbands actually "grew up" in Mexico, and Hector spent his teenage years here! Thank you everyone! Gracias a todos!

~Jenn;0)

2 comments:

Somebody said...

Here are a few links I found that might help. I know the alphabet in english and a few signs because my step-mom's sister had a deaf niece. April (the niece) died during child birth a few years ago but she was a really sweet girl who never hesitated to show everyone how to sign. She loved to talk!

http://www.deafblind.com/spain.html

http://deafness.about.com/cs/signfeats2/a/spanishsign.htm

Both of those should be helpful but scroll down on that 2nd one to see other links in bold letters that should lead to a lot more.

Hope this helps :)

~Lisa

~*jenn*~ said...

Thank you!!!

Now do you know anything about whethher or not that they use the same signs as us???

I know the alphabet and a few basic signs too! I just want his family to be able have the opportunity to "talk" to him too!! He doesn't really "talk" in either language, he just uses certain sounds...and grunts, and points to what he wants or drags you around the house!!!

~Jenn;0)